My Instagram

Instagram

Monday, October 26, 2009

An Autumn Afternoon

While lying on a hill one day beneath a grand oak tree, staring at the sky above and counting falling leaves. A young lass riding on a horse came slowiy passing by. I raised myself and called to her, gladly I caught her eye.

" What is it that your doing here just lying neath a tree. Are you sick or are you lost, perhaps looking for me? " I had to think a bit on that but soon the answer came. I smiled as then I spoke to her, first telling her my name.

" My name is Jes, " I said to her, " I come here everyday. It's where I go when I am down, here troubles fly away. I stare into the autumn sky, sometimes I count the leaves. I wonder are you sick or lost, perhaps searching for me? "

" Not likely you, " she said and turned, I called to her, " don't leave. Just stay a while get off your mount and spend some time with me. I am alone as you can see, and I could use a friend, especially one so beautiful, " I offered her my hand.

She did dismount and don't you know she sat down next to me. My heart beat so, a beauty rare. Why is it she didn't leave. " I'm glad you came I need a friend, and this I'd like to know, what is your name, where are you from and tell why you didn't go? "

An hour more she shared her heart, I listened patiently. Enraptured by her loveliness and her words so soft and sweet. And she went on the hour long, and I just quietly smiled. And just to think she's here with me, I loved her all the while.

And then she asked in tender tones, " would you like to walk with me? I'm on my way back to my home, it's getting toward the eve. Shadows fall and I recall the days are shorter now. Come walk me to that younder hill, we must be going now. "

And so we walked, she led her horse as I walked at her side. And then I took her hand in mine, I would not be denied. Her touch, it seemed enchanted so, I scarce would speak again. the moment was just wondrous, it shall not come again.

We walked into the valley green and then we climbed the hill and there atop that jeweled knoll her home was standing still. A lovely cottage set among the giant redwood trees. Unto the barn she led her horse and then returned to me.

Come sit with me a moment more, let's go sit in the swing. And as I sat so close to her my heart began to sing. She took my hand and snuggled close, " it's cooler now, " she said. I sighed then as I faced the fact, the sky was turning red.

" I have to go I whispered low, but oh, I hate to leave. Perhaps tomorrow I'll be back. We'll have to wait and see. She turned her head and bent real close as then she kissed my cheek. " Oh, do come back, I hope you can, but I know you must leave. "

I walked away that autumn day with hope inside of me. At last I've found some to love, I know that she's for me. I did go back and honestly, She was glad that I came. And that was twenty years ago, and I love her just the same.

ONLY YOU CAN LOVE ME THIS WAY BY KEITH URBAN
The third day~

No comments: