My Instagram

Instagram

Friday, February 13, 2009

Nice story...

While waiting in the checkout line at a local discount store, the mom and daughter standing ahead of me were gleefully telling the checker that it was the daughter's birthday. The checker shyly smiled, finished bagging their birthday goodies, and wished them a nice day.
Now my turn, I transferred all my bargains onto the conveyor belt and the checker dutifully proceeded to beep each item over the scanner. I began our conversation, "How are you today?" "Okay," the checker answered trying to sound positive.
"Talking about birthdays," I continued, "my mother-in-law's birthday is just two days away and we're planning a party for her." In a barely audible voice, she replied, "My birthday's next Monday." She scanned another item and under her breath vented the words, "I'm going to be 21. My family doesn't celebrate my birthday."
With an obvious question on my face, the checker went on to elaborate that because her birthday was so close to the holidays, her mother thought it would be enough to give her one gift at Christmas for both events. "It's always been like that," she said. Standing quietly trying to process what I had just heard, I finally asked, "Do you have to work on Monday?" Nodding, she continued to robotically beep through my pile of stuff. This precious young woman shared just a tiny portion of her hurting heart with me and then, after bagging everything, handed me the receipt and said, "Have a nice day!"
Yes, my life was very busy that following Monday, but I found a card in my desk, a gift assortment of lotions, and the perfect scripture gift book from my keep-on-hand collection. With tissue paper and a birthday gift bag, I quickly assembled the items and dashed to the store.
Arriving a few minutes early, I spoke with the manager explaining my plan. It was then I learned the checker's name and finished filling out the birthday card. The manager and co-worker also stated that they'd do something for her in the staff room later that day. Hooray!
Trying to keep the gift bag behind my back, my eyes looked up to see that my checker had arrived for work. She noticed me, voiced a hesitant "Hi", and then, I shamelessly raised my voice.
"May I please have your attention?" My stage voice carried well over the three lines of customers. "Today is Carrie's 21st birthday! Let's show our appreciation for the excellent job she does here. Please join me in singing Happy Birthday!" Most everyone sang with me...after concluding that I wasn't completely nuts! Stunned and teary-eyed, Carrie thanked me for the gift and gave me a hug. Several people greeted her and expressed their best wishes as well. On her 21st birthday, this special person was made to feel loved and valued.


WHEN I LOOK TO THE SKY BY TRAIN

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

2 comments:

sulinn said...

sweet story. =)

Unknown said...

Hey there...
I thought no more ppl will read my blog...
Ahaha...
Thanks for visiting...
=)